What do Operations Research Analysts do?
Formulate and apply mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, service, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
- Specify manipulative or computational methods to be applied to models.
- Define data requirements and gather and validate information, applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Collaborate with senior managers and decision makers to identify and solve a variety of problems and to clarify management objectives.
- Perform validation and testing of models to ensure adequacy and reformulate models as necessary.
- Develop and apply time and cost networks to plan, control, and review large projects.
- Formulate mathematical or simulation models of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Develop business methods and procedures, including accounting systems, file systems, office systems, logistics systems, and production schedules.
- Design, conduct, and evaluate experimental operational models in cases where models cannot be developed from existing data.
- Study and analyze information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
- Prepare management reports defining and evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
- Break systems into their component parts, assign numerical values to each component, and examine the mathematical relationships between them.
- Observe the current system in operation and gather and analyze information about each of the parts of component problems, using a variety of sources.
- Analyze information obtained from management to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Collaborate with others in the organization to ensure successful implementation of chosen problem solutions.
Related Jobs (Operations Research Analysts)